Search Engine Optimization(SEO) strategy is divided into – On-Page SEO and Off-Page SEO.
On-Page SEO focuses on what the website is about and it involves optimizing parts of the website that are within control. On the other hand, Off-Page SEO focuses on how reliable and popular the website is. Factors such as interesting contents and quality backlinks from other websites are the backbone of Off-Page SEO.
What is On-Page SEO?
On-Page SEO involves all the on-site strategies to ensure that the web page will rank high on Search Engine Results Pages (SERP). It uses technical elements to improve the quality of each web page. The better the On-Page SEO, the more traffic to the website.
Here are the factors that make a good On-Page SEO:
1. Title Tags
Include the targeted keywords in the title tag of each web page.
- Limit title tags to 55-60 characters (including spaces).
- Put the keywords at the beginning of the title.
- Include brand at the end of the title tag, separated by a pipe bar (|).
Headings are usually written the largest on the page and contain the targeted keywords so search engines can accurately match it with the page’s content.
3. URL Structure
A good URL has all the relevant keywords.
- Correctly label all pages.
- Don’t repeat keywords in URL.
- Keep URLs short.
4. Alt Text for Images
Search engines crawl images as well so accurately include short descriptions on each image.
- Thoroughly describe the image in 8-10 words.
- Include targeted keywords.
- If necessary, include a geo-locator (e.g., London)
5. Page Load Speed and Mobile Friendliness
Google wants to provide the best user experience, thus, helps its users find what they’re looking for as quickly as possible. Therefore, pages that load faster in both mobile and desktop rank higher in the search results.
6. Page Content
The content must be easy to read and provides value to the end user.
- Aim for at least 500 words of copy.
- Copy must address visitors’ search queries.
7. Internal Linking
Internal linking are clickable texts in hyperlinks. This not just helpful to users but to the website as well as it increases its relevance score.
What is Off-Page SEO?
Off-page SEO focuses on increasing the authority of the website through being linked back from other sites.
The Domain Authority calculates how authoritative a website is.
Here are ways to earn quality backlinks:
1. Publish interesting and share-worthy contents.
2. Social media shares.
3. Guest blog on related websites.
Which is More Relevant?
Both On-Page and Off-Page SEO works hand-in-hand in improving search engine rankings.
However, having a good On-Page SEO will be the foundation of the website. Once On-Page SEO is working pretty well, complement it with excellent Off-Page SEO and high website ranking is sure to follow.